Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Proof

I got married on November 2, 2002. It has been almost two years, and I thought that I was done with most of this name change crap. After today, I really hope that I am done.

When I renewed my car's registration in 2003, I went with new SS Card and Driver's License in hand and asked to have the name changed on the registration. I learned at that time that I'd have to amend it with the lien holder and then bring proof of that before being able to change it on my registration. I was assured that there was not a problem to have a car registered to a no-longer-valid name. So, knowing that I would pay my car off in 2004 around the same time that the registration would be up for renewal again, I decided to wait to get the original title from the lien holder and mess with it later.

So today (btwn haircut and lunch), I go to the Travis County Tax Assessors office. I have the title, the bill for registration renewal (only 2.5 months overdue), proof of insurance and my DL and SS Card. I wait my five minutes or so. I follow a woman back to her desk and tell her that I want to change the name on the title. I show her my DL and she says she needs the marriage certificate. WTF? I had to show that to get the DL and the SS Card. Those documents should be proof that my name has changed. I even kept my former last name as my current middle name. It's pretty easy to tell that I am who I was. Nope, she needs to know why my name has changed. I don't get it, but she has the power.

I drive home, find the marriage certificate and return... now with only 45 min to spare before I need to meet my friends for lunch. I got it all updated correctly, and even smiled and feigned laughter when the clerk jokingly said "You're lucky you didn't get a ticket with it being expired for so long."

What a mess....

Oh - and why is it that I make my check out to Nelda Wells Spears (the name of the Tax Assessor)? Shouldn't I make it out to the office or something. She could really do some damage if she got ahold of all those checks. I'm sure there are all sorts of checks and balances in place, but it still makes me curious.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's really Donna posting. I just can't remember my flingin' flangin' username and password, and it's not saved on my work computer.

I thought it was funny that it was easier to change the name on my credit cards than it was to change the name on my AAdvantage account. I just called the credit cards and they made the change. American Airlines wanted a copy of the marriage certificate. Weird.

Glad you got it sorted out and didn't strangle a state employee.

11:32 AM  
Blogger Sarah Barah said...

Too funny that you would mention the credit card/AAdvantage thing. I made a similar comment at Saint Kellen's site earlier today as well.

7:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home