Thursday, January 27, 2005

At the Chevron

I did something new the other night at the gas station. After swiping my credit card (and removing quickly), I had to enter my zip code on the keypad.

As I stood there filling my car, I wondered to myself if Chevron was curious about who bought gas on the northbound side of I-35 in downtown Austin or if they were doing it to avoid fraudulent charges. I turned around and noticed a big ol' sign telling me that it is now a requirement for major credit cards and assured me that it would not be used for marketing purposes.

If someone gets my credit card, they've likely stolen my wallet which also has my drivers license in it. And, my drivers license has my zip code on it. So, does entering my zip code on the keypad at the gas station really protect me? Or does it just enable Chevron to make the statement that they're looking out for their customers? Or do they really use it for marketing purposes even though they say they don't?

2 Comments:

Blogger Silly Old Bear said...

I haven't seen this yet. But we are usually behind the times, here.

If you think about it, they already have your credit card number, a zip code doesn't do them much good for marketing. Have you ever tried entering the wrong zip code to see what would happen? I wonder if it would cancel the transaction or not.

9:52 AM  
Blogger unknown said...

I have seen this too. I work at a retail store that has a lot of call in orders by credit card and if you dont have the card present the machine will ask for a zip code...which usually requires a call back to the customer.
I used to live in Austin many years ago (left for Arkansas in 1977 when I was 20) I really missed the night life there for a long time and still do. Is there still a place called the Armadillo World Headquarters? (concert hall) Is "the drag" still "the drag?" man this has really got me reminicing(sp) for a swim @ hippy hollow on lake Travis...but thats another story all together. thanks for the memories.

3:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home